Like a new baby, a new puppy comes with a shopping list. Instead of a crib, you need a crate and/or things such as a dog bed (or two), food and water bowls, and a collar and leash.
Things you need for a puppy include:
- Dog bed: Get two, one to use and one as a fill-in when the first needs to get washed
- Bowls: Stainless steel or ceramic, food, and water bowls
- Toys: Choose items the puppy can’t swallow
- Cleaning supplies: Disposable paper, disinfectant, and household gloves
- Crate: To help with potty training
- Treats: A vital part of training
- Food: Puppy food right for your dog’s size and age
- Collar and leash: Get the puppy used to these early
- Brush and comb: Start grooming so the puppy accepts it
You need to understand how a puppy things and learns to truly be caring for a puppy. Seek out reputable sources to read up on raising a puppy, such as the Kennel Club, ASPCA, or local animal hospitals. The more you know, the happier your pup will be.
Excerpt taken from an article by Pippa Elliott.